Frequently Asked Questions:

What is the difference between “accredited” and legitimate, “state-licensed”?

The most important consideration is for a college to receive state approval and state license. All programs are then reviewed and approved by the state. As a state- approved vocational college, NHI must adhere to the state’s quality control. The states support only state-approved colleges. For license and certification, states have recognized training only from state-approved, state-licensed vocational college. It is easy for schools or colleges to buy or receive “accreditation” from a private accrediting group, but that accreditation bears absolutely no legal or significant meaning. When students graduate from a legitimate, state-approved, state-licensed school, a student will be grandmothered or grandfathered in when programs later become licensed! States and cities only grant licensing and give reciprocity only if you attended a state-approved, state-licensed school anywhere in the country.

What is the difference between a Nutritionist and Dietitian?

Trained dietitians primarily focus on meal planning and are hired by hospitals and occasionally other institutions. Nutrition is a “whole body” approach, in which, meal planning is only a small part. Nutritionists are trained to individualize a nutritional and supplement program for therapies according to the individual’s unique constitution and health concerns. Individuals preferring progressive help usually seek the advice of Nutritionists rather than dietitians. The majority of Nutritionists work for themselves doing nutritional consulting. Some start out by working with M.D.’s, chiropractors, H.H.P.’s, acupuncturists, naturopaths, osteopaths and other health therapists.

What are the licensing requirements for H.H.P.’s?

You should check with your state/city for required total hours and specific course requirements. Even if you are not licensed, you can use C.N.C., C.C.M.H. and H.H.P. after your name to market and demonstrate your abilities and education. H.H.P.’s are licensed in fewer than 18 states. However, there are H.H.P.’s, as well as C.N.C.’s and C.C.M.H.’s, practicing openly and successfully in every state. Even if one practices where not currently licensed, our programs teach you how to practice and speak in an entirely legal manner. No matter where you practice, you can advertise yourself as having graduated from a state-licensed school and licensed to practice in southern California.

How do I obtain malpractice insurance?

Malpractice insurance can be obtained through several national organizations. Contact us for their catalogs and applications. There are also other national organizations offering malpractice insurance.

What kind of job can I get after graduation?

You can start out working with an M.D., chiropractor, acupuncturist, wellness center or other health therapists doing health consultations. Also, you can work in a health food store and develop your own clientele doing consultations on the side. Or, you can work for a supplement or herb company as a sales representative, thereby meeting health food store employees who will then refer to you when their customers need trained or in-depth advice. The majority of graduates initially or eventually work for themselves.

When can I start a program?

You can start any of our residential programs at any time. NHI College offers most of our programs as modules so that students can join anytime, preferably at/or near the beginning of a module. Please refer to our latest schedule online for upcoming classes/modules. For any questions please contact our office at 760-943-8485.

Important Note: Senate Bill SB577, which was signed into law January 2003, does liberalize the scope of “complementary and alternative medicine” in California — such as Nutritionist, Herbalist, and Holistic Health Practitioner. A copy of the law is available upon request. Similar laws are currently being enacted in other states officially and/or in common practice.